Thursday, July 5, 2012

Conversation

I've been incredibly fortunate this residency in my roommate draw. Rebecca and I are about the same age and keep roughly the same hours. She is neat, but not crazy about it. We both like a fair amount of quiet1 time. She does not seem to mind that I swear like a longshoreman. She is a fiction writer, so it's interesting to get a perspective on that part of the program. But best of all, she is nice and fun and really interesting to talk to. Also, she shares her wine.

Since I only had a roommate for one summer in college (and it was someone I already know and liked), this was another aspect of the residency that I was worried about.2 I would have settled for not-a-total-disaster, and instead I was lucky enough to meet a new friend.

Earlier this week we were getting ready to head out to another afternoon of lectures, when she said, "I know it's early, and it's fine if this is not something you want to do, I understand completely, but I'm wondering if next residency you might want to room ..."

"Yes," I said, interrupting her. "Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I've been trying to work up my courage to ask you the same question."

We may even ask if we can get the same room again.


1 FYI, I appear to have ended up in the non-social wing of the dormitory, and that turns out to be a very good thing.
2 I know, I know: was there any aspect of this residency I wasn't worried about?3
3 Ben says, no, there was not.

1 comment:

  1. With regards to 1) I need to hear the gory details of the language poetry brawls. ;)

    Congrats on your roommate copaceticness! Copaceticity? Get-alongy-ness!

    ReplyDelete